Since early childhood and my school years, I have possessed quite an insatiable love of the sciences, the human body and learning. I loved school. Despite leaning towards science, I played alto sax, danced my whole life and studied dance for the HSC. I was very academic and could not wait to start university. I began a Bachelor of Medical Science in 1997.
Fast forward almost 25 years, and we now have health ‘experts’ everywhere we look. I believe a true expert acknowledges these things: 1) You can never know it all 2) Learning is for life 3) Based on 1) and 2), no one is an expert!
At 21, I graduated university as a Medical Scientist, going on to work as a medical researcher in Oncology/Cell Pathology (cervical carcinoma), for the Royal Children’s Hospital (Genetics), The Australian Institute of Sport (AIS Sports Science/Sports Medicine) and both public and private hospital laboratories (Haematology, Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology). It was during a term of hospital clinical biochemistry where I discerned there was more to health outcomes than pharmaceuticals and good genetic fortune.
22 years in the medical sciences. 12 years lecturing. 12 years of clinical practice.
Whilst working as a Medical Scientist, I spent my leave and spare time researching and experiencing the possibility of further professional paths. After volunteering in the Nutrition departments of the Royal Military College (RMC Duntroon), the NSW Institute of Sport (NSWIS), the Human Nutrition Unit (Sydney University) and hospital/private dietetics practices in both Canberra and Sydney, I deflected away from a career in dietetics. I chose to study preventive medicine. I graduated as a Naturopath (BHSc- Naturopathy) in 2007.
As a scientist, a lecturer and a clinician, the science that underpins Naturopathy is at the heart of everything I do.
- TedX Sydney Fast Ideas speaker
- Prof. Susan Holland Fellowship in Environmental Medicine
- Past Board Member (Examiner) of the Naturopaths and Herbalists Association of Australia (NHAA)
- Current ambassador, MINDD Foundation of Australia
- 22 years experience
- Hundreds of happy students and clients
- University lecturer
- Published Textbook author: Elsevier Publishing
- Published researcher
- Media recognition: the ABC, SBS TV, Australian radio stations, expert contributor to both print and online media for 15 years
- Post graduate lecturer with the Australian Traditional Medicine Society, The Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine, BioMedica Nutraceuticals, FxMedicine, NatEx 2020 conference
- Post graduate student, University of Sydney (Faculty of Medicine/Faculty of Arts)